Herb Oils and Flavored Vinegars
Try some of these easy to make, great flavored recipes for using fresh herbs and keeping them all year long!
Herb Flavored Oil
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil, warmed on the stove
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. crushed dried red pepper
Wash the herbs and dry thoroughly. Place the herbs, peppercorns, and red pepper in a wide-mouth jar. Pour the oil over them and cover. Allow to infuse for 2 weeks. Remove the herbs and strain the oil through several layers of cheesecloth to remove the peppercorns and red pepper and divide among clean bottles or jars.
Garlic Basil Vinegar
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups red wine vinegar
Separate the garlic head into individual cloves. Crush the cloves slightly with the flat side of a knife and peel them. Wash the basil leaves and pat dry. Place the basil and garlic in a 2-quart or larger seal-able glass jar. Pour the vinegar over the garlic and basil, cover, and store in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks. Strain the vinegar through several layers of cheesecloth into clean, sterile bottles and cover. You can add a whole garlic clove or two to each bottle before closing.
Tuna Pasta Salad with Dilled Dressing
- 1 bunch dill leaves, stems removed, chopped fine
- 1 small bunch chives, snipped fine
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 can Premium Tuna fish 12 oz. pasta, bow ties or penne or similar
- salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to directions. In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients except tuna fish and pasta, and blend well. Add tuna and stir gently into pasta until fully coated with dressing. Garnish with a dill sprig, chill and serve.
Lemon Basil Salad Dressing
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Process all ingredients in a food processor and chill.
Cilantro and Lime Dressing
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced juice of 4 limes
- 2 tablespoons of light olive oil
Mix all ingredients together in a blender or food processor and chill at least 30 min. for dressing or use as a marinade on fish or chicken for grilling or as a dressing for chilled shrimp salad.
Garlic Herb Paste Marinade
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup Fresh herbs loosely packed (parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, or sage)
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor to puree. Spread on meat and refrigerate at least 30 min.
Tarragon Chicken Rub
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or less
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. tarragon
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 lb. chicken pieces
Mix ingredients and rub all over chicken parts. Bake at 350 degrees 30 min. covered, 30 min. uncovered. Baste last 5 min